This weekend my sister turns 30 years old. Are you kidding me? Even though we are only 2 years apart, I feel old.
I still remember rehearsing “shows” for my parents friends that we would perform on New Years Eve when we were little. I remember telling on her when she got into a gigantic fish tank because she wanted to “play” with the fish. I remember our fights growing up, most vivid being when she threw my bright green dinosaur piano down the stairs because I threw her rocking chair down just 30 seconds before.
Now she’s turning 30. Woah.
Turning this age is monumental because it’s the moment where you finally are growing into the person you are meant to be. I’m not talking about where you should be, or what society says that you need to accomplish by this time. I’m talking about growing into a person that is really YOU. The girl you were in junior year and high school is long gone (I think that’s a good thing) and the experiences you’ve had as an adult are supposed to make you stronger.
I know that being in my 30’s it’s been all about discovery, settling into the body and mind that is comfortable. So on your birthday, my little sister, here are my wishes for you:
1. Enjoy the Little Things: sometimes it’s the little things in the everyday that matter. Hanging out watching Revenge on sister night, coffee with friends, a quick nap. All of those little things add up and can sometimes be the best moments in life.
2. Trust in Your Family: this crazy bunch that seem like the oddest combination ever made in the history of families is the one that will be with you through thick and thin. When s**t hits the fan, we’re there. Whether we are in the same city, in different states or even in different countries, we are always connected and remain a priority.
3. Go After What You Want: your 30’s is the time to really find out what you were meant to do with your life, believe me. If what you are doing in work lights you up, I’m glad you found it. If you have other dreams set for yourself, go after them, you’ll be glad you did.
4. Everything Happens for a Reason: every experience you’ve had, whether good or bad has been for a reason. Friends have come and gone to teach you something. Every experience makes you a stronger, richer and wiser person. No one can take that away from you.
5. Laugh Often: life is really, really funny. Taken too seriously, you miss out on some great “America’s Funniest Home Videos” footage. Laugh at yourself, with others and at situations when you can. They say laughter burns calories too but I don’t know how much of that is actually true.
Happy birthday to my sister and friend Natalia, I love you and can’t wait to see what your 30’s bring!